Monday, November 28, 2016

Hope for the World - Bonita Y. McCoy


 
Advent is upon us for those of us who celebrate it.

I haven’t always observed advent, but a few years back, I felt compelled to do a daily prayer time during the advent season. 

So, Sunday I dug out my candles and began this year’s advent journey.

The theme this week is hope.

As I began my reading this morning, I found myself in Psalm 80:3. 

“Bring us back to You, God, turn the light of Your face upon us so that we will be rescued from this sea of darkness.” 
(The Voice Bible).

This, I thought, is hope. 

God’s light shining upon us, rescuing us from the darkness. This prayer of restoration uttered by the congregation thousands of years ago, calling into the depths of the darkness to God the Father for light, for hope.

Then, I turned to John 12: 46, and found God’s answer to His people.
“I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believes on me should not abide in darkness.” (NKJV).  Hope came in the form of Jesus providing a light to show the way. We no longer have to grope in the darkness. The Father has sent the light. 

Jesus is the hope, the light, the answer.

The light came to dispel the darkness, to draw all men to Himself. God answered the prayers of His people. He made a way of restoration.

In Christ, there is hope for all men.


Father,
Thank you for our hope in Christ. Please touch all who have not found the light of the world. Draw them to you through your Holy Spirit.
Amen


bym