Wednesday, July 5, 2017

But I'm Too Busy... -Bonita Y. McCoy




“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” ( NIV).

Over the last few weeks I have been busy, crazy busy.

The kind of busy where you’re not even the one in charge of your own schedule. The kind of busy where you already have a list of things to do and a list of things you’d like to get done, but two or three other people interject a new thought or need or emergency into your day and BAM…

CRAZY BUSY DAYS! 

I started secretly longing for those lazy days of summer. You know, the ones you hear about in songs and movies. Where you sit on a porch swing with a glass of cold tea in a warm breeze, breathing.

So, when I realized it had been a few days since I’d spent time with the Lord, I grabbed my Bible and a few minutes that morning and found a much better stillness then the variety you find on a summer’s eve at twilight. Though, those are pretty awesome.

You would think after years of walking with the Lord I would understand about being still and knowing -  This being still and knowing, it anchors me to Him.

But no. The last few weeks I’ve thrashed about running, striving, working, thinking, wondering… I tossed up a prayer here and looked over a verse there, but no being still in His presence, no waiting to hear from Him, to receive from Him.

No real exalting going on.

In essence, I was saying to God I'm too busy for you. “Father, I know you want me to come hang-out with you, but this life you gave me, well it’s got me all tied up. Sorry no time now.”

How sad when we deprive ourselves of the very person who can lift our load, direct our steps, and breathe life into our days.

Don’t do what I did and wait until your running on fumes before you stop to seek Him out. Be diligent in your time with Him. It will help to keep the busyness of life in check.


So, my challenge to you this week is to be still in His presence. Sit expecting Him to spend time with you, His child. Breathe in the peace that only God the Father can give; then, make your to do list. It might hold a few minutes of time on a swing with a glass of tea in a warm breeze. Just saying.

bym