Thursday, March 7, 2019

Sinking Thinking - A Moment of Doubt - Bonita Y. McCoy




So here is the set up. Jesus gets finished feeding 5,000 men plus women and children. It is late, and he sends the disciples ahead of him in a boat while he dismisses the crowd.
Later that night, Jesus is walking on the water toward the disciples in the boat, and they think he is a ghost. Calling out, he tells them not to be afraid its just him.

So, Peter calls out, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.”
And Jesus said, “Come.”

“So, Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, he cried out, ‘Lord, save me.’ Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him saying, ‘O you of little faith, why did you doubt?’ And when they got into the boat the wind ceased.”

Now there are a couple of things that stood out to me in this passage.
  1.     Peter asked for Jesus to command him or call him. So, he had enough faith to ask for the impossible, believing that Jesus could do it.
  2.          Peter had enough faith to swing his legs over the side of the boat. He did not hesitate. He swung those big feet of his over the edge of the boat and stood.

3.     Peter walked all the way to Jesus on the water, making him the only other person besides Jesus to ever do this feat.
4.     Peter was in the middle of being obedient when the doubt hit him.

Have you ever been in the middle of doing what you know God has called you to do and doubt crept in?

I know I have.

Slap dab in the middle of doing exactly what God told me to do, and boom, doubt hits. I start looking around at other people, or the situation, or like Peter, the turmoil of the moment.

And I, like Peter, go glub, glub, glub, as I sink calling out to the Lord, “help save me! I’m drowning.”
But as Jesus has promised, he never leaves us nor forsakes us. He reaches out his hand to me and pulls me up. He walks me across the water, just like Peter, back to the safety of the boat or in our case, the familiar.

Now, here is the other cool thing that popped out at me when I read this. The very wind that caused Peter to doubt, that set his mind to spinning, Jesus stopped.

“And when they got into the boat the wind ceased.”

We must remember that the Lord of the water is the Lord of the wind too.

So, when you step out to do the unfamiliar or even the impossible, remember if God has called you “Come,” you can trust he has you all the way.

Lord,
Help us to trust and believe.
In Jesus’s mighty name,
Amen.


Finding God’s grace,